Welcome to Mike's Tangents...

Hello there! Welcome to my blog. This online journal covers both professional and personal notes, thoughts, aspirations, questions, and whatever else is going on inside my head and heart, and is intended for you to get to know me just a bit more. Please enjoy, & be sure to visit my website for more info. Thanks for swinging by, & enjoy the tangents...

3.11.2008

Beautifully Blue Lake Tahoe


Congratulations Eric and Valerie on your new lifelong adventure! What a simple and sweet and beautiful wedding ceremony in South Lake Tahoe. Stay warm you two :)

We had the opportunity to have a little family time on Sunday, so we rested up, walked around after breakfast, and took the gondola ride up to Heavenly. No snow boarding this round though :( We enjoyed a sunny and crisp day that helped refresh the soul. This was JK's first real experience with snow, which he calls "ndo". It's such a joy to have the freedom to share in his experiences, and to really invest in what matters most. Your loved ones are the most important investment you can make. Sure, work matters...but my challenge to you as either another photographer, business owner, employee, average joe or whatever, INVEST IN THE LIVES OF YOUR FAMILY. Step out of the box and recalibrate your life, so to speak. Put God first, and then pour your heart and soul into the lives you touch the most! Think about who would show up to visit you (God forbid) in the hospital, and be grateful for them. Our families are the ones who watch us dive in sometimes over our head, and are there no matter what, through thick and thin. It's a GREAT thing to come home to those special and dear to your heart, and catch a glimpse of encouragement, hope and love. The way my wife looks at me can help make me realize that I can conquer the world! And the way my son looks up to me is absolutely priceless - he does not care what I do, how well I do it, doesn't worry about bills, employees, and the perpetual to do list. All he cares about and knows is the fact that his "Daeee" is there for him to love on, protect, guide, and care for. The fact that my hand on his face when he goes to bed comforts him enough to quiet him in his crib and makes him to know that he is in a safe place is one incredible blessing and responsibility.

So back to my challenge. What would you think about today, in the place that you are in right now, that is taking your attention, thoughts, actions, energy and focus off of your family? Recognize it, call it out, and challenge yourself to re-prioritize asap! God has blessed you with the very air you breathe right now, so what are you going to do with it? Invest in the things that last and matter the most.

You'll see a lot of the personal side of my life on this blog, obviously, because it's just who I am, and that's why this is called "a glimpse into the life of...". I am passionate about what I do and love the job that I've been blessed with. To me it's not just a job - it's someone's life. I was asked once when I realized my passion for photography, and I got to thinking about it. Sure, I absolutely & fully enjoy photography! But what I'm truly passionate about is LIFE, and the people I work with and for. It comes back to the relationships we make. Life is too short to always be in the hussle-bussle of work, eat, pay bills, play, do taxes, work some more, etc. I guess that's why I so enjoy weddings - it's your special day of joy, full of real life moments, and blessed happiness. I hope this post encourages you to think outside of the box, and inspires you to look up at the beautiful sky, trees, or birds the next time you walk down the street among the stoplights, cars, horns, trash in the gutters, and businesses. I call it a "mini mind vacation". Have a wonderful day!

No comments: