Welcome to Mike's Tangents...

Hello there! Welcome to my blog. This online journal covers both professional and personal notes, thoughts, aspirations, questions, and whatever else is going on inside my head and heart, and is intended for you to get to know me just a bit more. Please enjoy, & be sure to visit my website for more info. Thanks for swinging by, & enjoy the tangents...

6.17.2008

nesting...

You know me, with my "deep, but not really deep" thinking. Years ago, even before I got married, I was touched by a man's testimony, based on Matthew 6:25-34. Verse 26 says "Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" This guy was beaten down, tore up, had gone through the thick of it, was going to commit suicide, and ran across this verse. He simply asked God for a bird...that he "needed" a bird. Of course, this was symbolic, but God is so great! He remembered that prayer, and one afternoon during it all this bird came and landed right next to this man on his porch railing. To further push the experience, he put his hand out next to it, and yep, the bird stepped on his hand. Cool story. There was much more to it, but that's the jist of it. This whole passage (verses 25-34) is about worrying, and how we shouldn't. Instead we should trust God to provide and seek to know him more. Invest in the things that last! This is one of the "life verses" for me. So, 8 years ago (I remember it like it was yesterday), my new bride and I were on our honeymoon in Kauai having breakfast, and I randomly remembered that story. So I uttered a similar prayer, not hurting or in super need yet, but knowing that Gina and I both didn't have a whole lot to fall back on (but our love!:). During one of my favorite breakfasts with open dining (warm tropical breeze and what not), a bird perched right next to our booth and I was totally encouraged. Not realizing it, but over the course of the next 8 years I found myself being reminded many many times about the faithfulness of God, and I've never looked at birds the same. Sidebar: Funny thing is I used to love shooting them with my BB gun as a kid, but life has its twists! So, summing this up, I revisited that verse a few weeks back and was extremely refreshed one early morning at my home when I opened my front door to literally see this nest, with baby eggs and all! I couldn't find any words, but only found a freaking huge smile on my face. I don't want to preach, but God is extremely faithful, and no matter what He is always there for you! Have a terrific day!

1 comment:

Alex Rodriguez said...

Thanks for sharing Mike, and preach away! This is a great story and a wonderful testimony.

GB-

Alex